[Look for the podcast play button below.]
Hello sex fans! Welcome back.
June is indeed bustin’ out all over. And that can mean only one thing here at Dr Dick’s Sex Advice. IT’S LGBT PRIDE MONTH! Hurray!
To kick off our celebration we’re gonna take an audio fieldtrip to the land down under to visit with one of the most interesting men I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. And seeing this is the SEX WISDOM show, you can be certain that my guest is among the movers and shakers in the field of human sexuality. Because this is the series where we meet researchers, educators, clinicians, pundits and philosophers who are helping us take a fresh look at our sexual selves.
My guest is none other than Benjamin Law, the author of the critically acclaimed book, Gaysia; Adventures in the Queer East. Benjamin is a journalist, columnist, and screenwriter. And has a Ph.D. in television writing and cultural studies, don’t cha know. His passion is evident in all he does, but he is also funny as all get out. I can’t wait for you to meet him.
Benjamin and I discuss:
- His way with words;
- Cleis Press, his North American Publisher;
- His international audience;
- Modern gay consciousness is linked to a certain economic class;
- Bad reviews;
- Sex tourism;
- Living on the sexual fringe;
- His travels throughout south Asia;
- Religion, family responsibilities, and sexual minorities;
- Sex work can come from a place of pride or from a place of desperation;
- The double standard for women and men.
Click on the cover art below for more information about Gaysia; Adventures in the Queer East.
BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!
Look for all my podcasts on iTunes. You’ll find me in the podcast section, obviously. Just search for Dr Dick Sex Advice. And don’t forget to subscribe. I wouldn’t want you to miss even one episode.
Today’s podcast is bought to you by: Dr Dick’s Stockroom.